sdoconnell

Notes

Menu

Sat 2019-08-24 23:26

Class B motorhomes are nimble and easy to drive, but one of the challenges with Class B's compared with the larger C and A rigs is the much reduced storage space. In particular, there is generally little to no exterior storage. Our Class B has an exterior box for storing the sewer hose (thank goodness), conveniently located under the driver side running board. But beyond that, there are no exterior storage compartments for things like sewer fittings, hoses, electrical cables, etc. And since the roof is covered with solar panels, there's no room for storage up there (and without a built in ladder it wouldn't be very convenient even if there were). So that means a lot of our interior storage space has been eaten up with things that in our previous rig would have gone in an exterior compartment.

Enter the Stowaway2 Max, a hitch-mounted cargo box with 16 cubic feet of space. It's got a locking, weather-resistant lid and the hitch mount is a two-piece unit with a swing away platform for the box. That lets me move the cargo box enough not to interfere with opening the rear doors (though sadly, not enough to let me swing the passenger-side rear door fully to the side locking position). We ordered our Stowaway2 Max last Sunday, it shipped the next day (via FedEx at no additional charge) and arrived on Thursday.

I had a chance this morning to get it installed on the Lula. I was really impressed with the overall construction, and the installation instructions were clear and easy to follow. The whole project took about 90 minutes (in the blazing Las Vegas sun) from unbox to light check. And a lot of that time was spent reading the instructions, and unboxing and unwrapping the carefully packed components. The actual installation took maybe 30 minutes. The only caveats I found would be:

  1. It's a two-person job. The box isn't terribly heavy but it's big and unwieldy. It also requires some careful positioning to line up bolt holes on the box and platform.
  2. Bring your big wrenches. There are some large (1 1/8") hinge bolts to tighten and the little adjustable wrench in the kitchen drawer isn't going to do it. I had to go to the BBT (the Big Boy Toolbox I keep in storage) and get out my large box wrenches and a large Crescent wrench. Everything else was 3/8" or 9/16" and standard sockets did the job.

The electrical was all pre-wired and the only thing I had to hook up was the lighted license plate holder (that's also the only part of the install that required drilling). The included straight-4 connector required an adapter for my 7-round tow outlet, but I knew that in advance and ordered one with the box. Connections were as simple as plugging in the adapter and zip tying the cable to keep it from dangling free.

All said and done, I'm pretty darn happy with the cargo box. It was a little pricey, but it's solidly built and I think it's worth the money. I'm definitely loving all the interior space that box has now freed up. I was able to fit our three utility tubs (one each for electrical components, water hoses and connections, and sewer fittings), two bags of Lynx levelers and a chock block, our 25 foot 30A extension cord, and two large camp chairs all inside the cargo box - with room to spare. The free space inside is great, but it will also be a lot easier doing setup and breakdown with everything in one easy-to-access location. I'm stoked thinking about our next weekender when the weather gets a little cooler.

Stowaway2 Max installed

Submit a webmention

You may reply, like, repost, or bookmark this page by submitting a webmention.