Mon 2020-07-27 01:48

  • Note
  • Posted: 2020-07-27 01:48 UTC

Syncthing is one of those tools that I can count on 99% of the time. But every once in a while - man, it's a galactic pain in my ass. When it breaks, it breaks deep and awful. I just spent over 10 hours today getting three machines sharing a mere 15GB of files back into sync after I found that Syncthing had been churning disks in the NAS for days in some weird spinning of its own wheels - during which of course, nothing was actually syncing.

Resolving this failure (after trying the typical stuff to no avail) involved:

  1. Stopping sync on all nodes.
  2. Wiping the Syncthing db on each node.
  3. Re-indexing each node independently.
  4. Turning off "low priority" processing on each node (go on son, take all the cycles while you're at it).
  5. Allocating an additional 2GB of memory and two additional vCPUs to the "hub" node.
  6. Re-enabling each sync connection one at a time and waiting for sync to complete.

FFS. Not how I planned to spend my Sunday.

You know, I'd switch to another application for this function but the fact is that Syncthing (usually) tends to suck less than any of the other file synchronization tools I've tried. It's just that every now and then, it kind of screws me over for a day or so.